[time-nuts] our favorite topics

Scott Stobbe scott.j.stobbe at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 19:27:34 UTC 2016

So, the elephant *is* in the room, how majestic. Thanks for taking the time
to list some sample books/papers. A lot of general communications
systems/RFIC books certainly acknowledge phase noise and the results
because of its presence, but I don't know how many have an in depth
discussion of ways to tame the beast, so to speak. It sounds as if
improving phase noise has a large focus of many of your published works, I
will take a look :). Ultimately for board level design, phase noise tends
to be purchased versus designed.

Its difficult to appreciate just how much effort goes into a OCXO/TXCO
without having a go at it yourself. It's one thing to to build an
oscillator with 2n3904, I can only speculate just how much goes it into
getting to -120 dBc/Hz and below at a 1Hz offset on a 10 MHz oscillator.

If I recall correctly in Frerking text, there is somewhere between a
paragraph to a page or two, warning that existing small-signal circuit
theory (linearized about an operating point) doesn't actually apply here,
and with a bit of hand waving says have faith it still sort of works.

Does your text provide a good discussion of the implications of operating
with large signals?