[time-nuts] What's the best Windows 10 ntp client?

Mike Cook michael.cook at sfr.fr
Fri Sep 2 07:41:01 UTC 2016

> Le 2 sept. 2016 à 08:29, Dr. David Kirkby <drkirkby at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> At my amateur radio club we have Internet access via a WiFi dongle with a Pay As You Go card. A Windows 10 PC is only powered up while we are there, so on around 2-4 hours per week.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be the most suitable software to run on our Windows 10 PC to set the time correct?
>
> Someone installed "Dimension 4"
>
> http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/

Using inbuilt server lists is not too good an idea .

> As far as I can see, this takes the time from one single NTP server, which I believe is not a good idea.  However,  given we only run the PC on 2-4 hours per week,  maybe no ntp client will work well,  but I would have thought using multiple servers being better than one.

 I see no reason not to run a normal NTP client such as that of Meinberg. You can configure the daemon to allow a large step at start up and as many known good servers to access as you want (try the pool also ). You will have a reasonably good time available in a few minutes that can be monitored with Meinberg’s monitor app. If the windows PC has CPU power saving options, have them disabled.