[time-nuts] Tbolt issues

Lars Walenius lars.walenius at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 2 10:38:06 UTC 2016

Hello Bert,

For me your findings look very much the same as this:
http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/tbolt-8d/
At least for me I should say the (absolute) frequency accuracy for this Tbolt is not better than +-1E10 with 1 or 10 seconds gate times on a counter. Maybe I am totally wrong as both Tom and Charles says that your Tbolt is bad.

As Bob Camp said we need a confidence interval. For me in this case it is peak values if they occur more than a couple of times. Think of  voltmeters. If it is out of spec say for only a couple of hours but it happens several times say during a month or year and the voltmeters is not considered bad I should say change the spec. If I were going to use the Tbolt as a reference in a production environment with a 1 or 10 sec gate time I probably would set the internal spec to 2E-10.

If I understand correct the Tracor 527E has a low pass filter with a time constant of 1second so the 1 second frequency average data should be relevant.

As I am also interested in frequency accuracy with GPSDO´s used with frequency counters, I have a maybe far to simplistic rule of accuracy: (10x the worst ADEV at all Taus longer than the gate time). So for the Tbolt with time constant of 100 seconds it is a hump of about 1E-11 at 100seconds so at gate times shorter than 100seconds I expect to see excursions up to 1E-10. If you set the time constant to 1000seconds and the OCXO in the Thunderbolt is good to 2 to 3E-12 all the way 1-1000 seconds you probably don´t have excursions higher than 2 to 3E-11 at 1-100 seconds gate times.

Lars