[time-nuts] Hobbyist grade or homebrew temperature testing chamber?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 04:30:22 UTC 2016

You don't need exact control of the temperature.  You just need a slow rate
of change and the ability to measure the temperature accurately.

I have used a picnic cooler with some water in the bottom and a very small
fish tank heater.  But this was for an experiment in a home biology lab not
an electronic lab.  Any insulated box with a largish thermal mass inside
will do.  Try sand in place of the water.  The neat thing about aquarium
heaters is their built in thermostat.

Or simp[lly place the DUT in an attic and let the day/night temperature
swing do the work for you.  My attic get blazing hot in the day and cool at
 night, the rate of change is not to fast

On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 7:48 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist <
richard at karlquist.com> wrote:

> As we all know, step #1 in making a clock is NOT
> to build a thermometer :-)
>
> I thought I would check the brain trust here to see
> if anyone has seen a hobbyist grade temperature
> testing chamber or kit or homebrew design.  I
> have some crystals, oscillators, and other
> electronics I would like to characterize over
> temperature.  I know this reflector has discussed
> homebrew stabilization ovens; however, they
> have tended to have very long time constants
> (which makes sense for that application).  I
> need to be able to change temperature in a
> reasonable amount of time, and I don't need
> extreme stability.  Looking for any ideas,
> maybe in the "maker" spirit.  I think the
> size I need would be perhaps 1/2 the size
> of a shoebox.
>
> BTW, in case someone has a chamber to sell,
> let me know...
>
> Rick Karlquist N6RK

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California