[time-nuts] Hobbyist grade or homebrew temperature testing chamber?

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Tue Sep 6 22:42:42 UTC 2016

Hi Rick:

I've used two types.
1. Most of the replies have been for controlled air temperature devices.  These are by far the most common but also they
take a long time to change temperature.
2. Hot/Cold plates are much faster since the DUT is in close contact with the plate.  We used these with a PID
controller and liquid Nitrogen gas.  Just toss a towel over the DUT and you have very fast cycle times.

I built a DIY version for heat only using a couple of flexible heater strips glued to aluminum blocks, a PID controller
and a 10k thermistor embedded in one of the blocks.   The Steinhart-Hart thermistor equation is of the third order with
respect to R but it is linear with respect to the coefficients making it easy to fit.
http://www.prc68.com/I/Sensors.shtml#Temperature

The unit is hiding from me, maybe it's photo shy.

--
Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com