[time-nuts] HP-105B Battery Replacement?

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Thu Sep 15 16:59:15 UTC 2016

Hi Jeremy:

I'm currently having fun playing with various rechargeable battery related stuff  which includes Li-Ion cells.
http://www.prc68.com/I/BatTst.shtml#Resistor
The cells come in three configurations:
1. the raw flat top cell with optional tabs to allow easy soldering into a pack,
2. cell plus positive button cap which includes a Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC) fuse and an over pressure vent,
3. fully protected, like 2, plus circuit that turns off the battery if charging and over voltage or loaded and under
voltage.  On these you can feel a wire/ribbon running from positive to negative under the shrink wrap and they are
slightly longer.
These configurations are independent of the flavor of Li chemistry.

To go with any of the above you need a charger specific to the particular Li chemistry (the charging voltage is not the
same) and if a pack you also need a either cells like 3 above or a protection circuit for the pack.  For optimum
performance in addition a tap between each virtual cell (made of of parallel cells) so that the charge can be balanced
and a charger that can do that.  This is not easy, witness the current recall of the Galaxy Note 7s phones.

I would just use modern Ni-Cad cells mainly because of the ease of charging and maintaining them and use the existing
charging circuitry.
Li chemistry has advantages for portable equipment, but not so much for rack mounted equipment.

--
Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com