[time-nuts] Why are PPS pulses so narrow? (was: 53132A triggering)

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Sep 17 01:03:12 UTC 2016

Hi

It is sort of an " everybody does it " sort of thing. Various justifications:

        Less power is used / less heat in the drivers and terminations.

        Transformer coupling works better ( lower delay ) with narrow pulses

         Anything over 1 us has been "really long" in terms of logic speeds since the 1960's

         A definite duty cycle "bias" let's you detect an inverted pulse.

The only real reason is "that's the way it's done". Big Customers ask for it that way. Suppliers deliver what is asked for. Nobody complains, nothing changes.

Bob