[time-nuts] 53132A triggering

Scott Stobbe scott.j.stobbe at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 18:05:58 UTC 2016

Well I have looked into this before for the 53131A, and the way signal peak
volts is implemented is bizarre. I say bizarre because for low frequency,
low duty cycle signals (like PPS) the 53131A will at times report the lower
peak as being higher than the upper peak...

>From the 53131A Manual:
     Peak volts (53131A, 53132A, 53181A) Measurement is specified on
Channels 1 and 2 for dc signals; or for ac signals of frequencies between
100 Hz and 30 MHz with peak-to-peak amplitude greater than 100 mV.

     Results range –5.1 V to +5.1 V
     Resolution 10 mV Peak volts systematic
     uncertainty for ac signals: 25 mV + 10% of V
     for dc signals: 25 mV + 2% of V

Well, I read the specification as being guaranteed for any DC coupled
signal, in my experience even DC signals with a frequency less than 100 Hz
fail to register correctly.

As an example at 1 kHz (10% duty cycle) the channel 1 VPP (DC, 50 Ohm),
behaves as expected:
 +0.00V +1.58V
 +0.01V +1.58V
 +0.01V +1.58V
 +0.00V +1.58V
 +0.00V +1.58V
 +0.00V +1.58V
 +0.00V +1.58V
 +0.01V +1.58V
 +0.00V +1.58V
 +0.00V +1.58V
 +0.01V +1.58V
 +0.00V +1.58V
 +0.00V +1.58V
 +0.01V +1.58V
 +0.00V +1.58V
 +0.00V +1.58V
 +0.00V +1.58V
 +0.01V +1.58V
 +0.00V +1.58V
 +0.01V +1.58V
 +0.00V +1.58V
 +0.00V +1.58V
 +0.00V +1.58V
 +0.00V +1.58V
 +0.01V +1.58V
 +0.00V +1.58V
 +0.00V +1.58V

For 1 Hz (10% duty cycle) the channel 1 VPP (DC, 50 Ohm), behaves
unexpectedly:
 +0.05V +0.05V
 +0.05V +0.05V
 +0.06V +1.28V
 +0.05V +0.05V
 +0.05V +0.05V
 +0.05V +0.08V
 +1.28V +0.05V  <- Lower peak greater than upper peak
 +0.05V +0.05V
 +0.05V +0.05V
 +0.05V +1.54V
 +0.05V +0.05V
 +0.05V +0.05V
 +0.05V +0.05V
 +1.24V +0.05V <- Lower peak greater than upper peak
 +0.05V +0.05V
 +0.05V +0.05V
 +0.05V +0.64V
 +0.05V +0.05V
 +0.05V +0.05V
 +0.05V +0.05V
 +0.06V +1.28V

So the reason auto-trigger fails, is the instrument does not set an
appropriate trigger level, since the VPP reading fail to have any integrity
below 100 Hz.

I would be interested to see what you get on the 53132, I suspect its
implementation of VPP to have the same issues.