[time-nuts] Normal operating specs of a Morion MV89?

Tim Lister listertim at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 21:31:06 UTC 2016

I recently ordered and received what claims to be a 2007 vintage
Morion MV89 from ebay (I say claimed as that what the auction item
said, but my unit is missing the identifying label on the top and just
has '2007 MV89A' written on the side in marker). I've powered it up
with a bench power supply at 12V and it's drawing 390mA at steady
state. I measured the case temperature with a ThermaPen Mk4 (not often
I get to combine the hobbies of bbq and timenuts...) which is
calibrated to +/-0.7F to be about 111F, varying somewhat with
position.

This seems pretty hot - Is this normal ? The datasheet says it should
draw <350mA when at steady state but doesn't say what temp it should
be at. Does anyone else have info on their version to see whether this
is normal ?

Cheers,
Tim