Christopher Hoover ch at murgatroid.com
Tue Sep 20 02:49:42 UTC 2016

> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2016 19:48:14 -0700
> From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard at karlquist.com>
> To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
>         <time-nuts at febo.com>
> Subject: [time-nuts] Hobbyist grade or homebrew temperature testing
>         chamber?
>
> As we all know, step #1 in making a clock is NOT
> to build a thermometer :-)
>
> I thought I would check the brain trust here to see
> if anyone has seen a hobbyist grade temperature
> testing chamber or kit or homebrew design.  I
> have some crystals, oscillators, and other
> electronics I would like to characterize over
> temperature.  I know this reflector has discussed
> homebrew stabilization ovens; however, they
> have tended to have very long time constants
> (which makes sense for that application).  I
> need to be able to change temperature in a
> reasonable amount of time, and I don't need
> extreme stability.  Looking for any ideas,
> maybe in the "maker" spirit.  I think the
> size I need would be perhaps 1/2 the size
> of a shoebox.
>
> BTW, in case someone has a chamber to sell,
> let me know...
>
> Rick Karlquist N6RK

If you need a heater strip,  I am a satisfied and repeat customer of Minco.
  They make polyimide resistive heating elements that can put a lot of Q
into something.

http://www.minco.com/Products/Heat

design guide:

http://www.minco.com/components/~/media/WWW/Resource%20Library/Heaters/Heater%20Design%20Guide.ashx?la=en