[time-nuts] Vintage Quartz Crystal Manufacturing

William H. Fite omniryx at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 16:38:38 UTC 2016

So cynical, Bob.  ☺

The fact is that many, many short films of this type were made during WWII
and to a lesser extent during the Cold War, primarily for educational
awareness of the general pubic as well as members of the armed forces. A
great uncle of mine who was an executive at RCA oversaw the making of
several of these films. I do not believe that the companies profited
greatly from their production. As to advertising, would watching that film
make you run out and buy a box of crystals?

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 9:53 AM, Bob Camp <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> The film on YouTube was done by a crystal manufacturing company. The
> production of the film
> was paid for by the US Government. The company made a chunk of money off
> of making the film and then
> preceded to use it as advertising for the next 20 years.
>
> If you dropped in to a crystal manufacturing plant at any point over the
> next 30 years after that film
> was made, the styles of dress had changed. The crystal holders had
> changed. Most of the processes
> were still the same and some of the gear was still the same ….
>
> Bob
>
> > On Sep 25, 2016, at 1:00 AM, Cube Central <cubecentral at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I watched this video totally in awe at how much "hands-on" processing
> was required.  I am not sure what I thought before, but I suppose this
> level of work was done for most every technical thing back then.  I really
> got a huge kick out of seeing every step of the process.  I was also in awe
> of the machines that were made specifically for the manufacturing process -
> the testers, the vacuum chamber, the meters, the cold box!  However, I was
> a bit concerned at the somewhat relaxed attitude and working conditions,
> specifically around the X-RAY devices and found myself hoping that they
> were well shielded!  I couldn't imagine wearing rings (or nail polish) on
> my fingers and working with oil, water, abrasive grit, soap, etching acid,
> neutralizer, etc. every day and not wearing gloves - my hands would have
> been wrecked!  I got such a great sense of not only how these things were
> made, but also how the working environment must have been.  I couldn't
> imagine doing any of those tasks for more
> > han a month straight before I would go batty.  I have a ton of respect
> for the women and men who hand checked every single sliver of quartz and
> who tested, retested, etched and re-etched thousands of crystals.
> >
> > Would you please expand more on what controversy you are referencing?  I
> didn't really see anything controversial there, except maybe the working
> conditions/safety hazards!  Maybe I need to watch it again and not be so
> engrossed with the technical and working aspects?
> >
> > Thanks for your thoughts, and thank you to whomever linked it - I really
> enjoyed it!  Any others I should see?
> >
> >       -Randal R
> >               (at CubeCentral)

Intelligence has never been proof against stupidity.