[time-nuts] HP5061B Peak to Valley Ratios

Donald E. Pauly trojancowboy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 23:36:05 UTC 2017

https://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2017-April/104600.html

We did our first Zeeman frequency test on our good cesium 05061-6077
Tube with a 1 Meg scope probe and a 11 Meg Digital Voltmeter in
parallel.  KB7APQ used his digital generator for the variable
frequency.  See paragraph 3-16 on page 3-8.  At 53.53 kc the level
peaked at 3 V peak to peak which is close to the theoretical 1 V rms.
I didn't have a program readily available to do a graph but you can
see the main and upper and lower adjacent peaks. We can compare with
Figure 4-43 (page 4-31) in the service manual for the HP5061B if
anyone can graph this.

We had the C field control at the factory setting of 453.  Our actual
maximum on main peak was 53.657 kc not 53.530 kc.  We got 53.530 kc
with a slightly different new C field setting of 463.  Factor spec is
within 100 cps and we were 127 cps off.  This is probably not a bad
drift for a 30 year old instrument.

https://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2017-April/104600.html

kc      beam (C Field set at 453)
55.03  27
54.93  27
54.83  27
54.73  28
54.63  30
54.53  32
54.43  33
54.33  31
54.23  28
54.13  25
54.03  22
53.93  22
53.83  24
53.73  29
53.63  35
53.53  32
53.43  39
53.33  34
53.23  28
53.13  24
53.03  22
52.93  23
52.83  25
52.73  28
52.63 31
52.53 32
52.43  31
52.33  29
52.23  27
52.13  27
52.03  26

We suspect a bad beam tube on our second instrument and therefore
wanted to practice the Low Frequency Coil test on our known good beam
tube.  It allows the performance of the tube to be checked with no rf
drive.  See paragraph 5-175 (page 5-22) We used 26.765 kc and it also
peaked out at 3 V pp.  I discovered that this is half of the Zeeman
frequency but it is not clear why this is so.  We obtained a beam
current of 23 with rf drive removed from the tube by pulling P2 on
A4A1.  I spoke to Corby Dawson last night.  Among many things, he
reported that you will be able to get 80% to 90% of this beam current
in normal lock mode.  We are getting 87% or 20.

πθ°μΩω±√·Γλ
WB0KVV