[time-nuts] Line Frequeny Stablity

Peter Reilley preilley_454 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 5 12:42:07 UTC 2017

Think of it as an ocean liner trying to keep a dead straight course to
it's destination.
It weighs many tons and wind and waves may drive it off it's path but
the captain
can correct for this.   It eventually arrives at it's destination and is
only a few feet
from the dock.

The total rotating mass of all the generators in a network is many times
the mass of an
ocean liner.   The operators do their best to keep them running at the
correct frequency.
Unexpected load changes can cause some divergence, but over time the
average is
dead on.

When I installed power plants in the 1970's they has a special "clock"
that showed the
cumulative error in terms of clock time.   The clock had two inputs, one
from the utility
power and the other from some reference, possibly WWV.   Normally the
"clock" was
pointing up at zero and not moving.

If the generator ran a little too fast the clock would move forward.
As the operator
observed the clock moving away from zero he would reduce the plant's
power and the
clock would move backward toward zero.   His goal was to keep the clock
at zero and
not moving.   Thus, your bedside clock was always on time even if there
were temporary
excursions fast or slow.

Pete.