[time-nuts] Spirent STR4500 GPS simulator

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Apr 5 12:45:00 UTC 2017

Hi

To the extent that the device runs like a 4100 or a 6100, it does not need any software to support it. The same may be true of the 6300. They all run from a drop dead simple serial command set. On the 6100 you fire up a terminal program at 38.4 K baud 8N1 and type away. All of the features of the 4100 and 6100 can be utilized this way.  The super duper XP only software is a joke with these boxes.

On the boxes that *do* need software to run them, the stuff is node locked. You don’t just need the software, you also need a license key dongle(?). For boxes that are inside the support window (6300 or later) that’s roughly a $1K sort of expense. Exact cost is something I never dug into. I simply passed on the idea of one of the fancy modern boxes.

Spirent has indeed dropped all support of anything earlier than the 6300. The only exception appears to be for people who have agreements in place on specific boxes that pre-date the 6300. It is unclear how much of an extension that gives people. It’s a topic right now on the 6100 since normal support stopped at the end of 2016. Since the 4500 is still being sold, I suspect you can get a support agreement on it. I would *guess* the software would be available under support …. maybe not ….

Bob