[time-nuts] Line Frequeny Stablity

Bill Hawkins bill.iaxs at pobox.com
Wed Apr 5 18:13:18 UTC 2017

The rotary generators in a system of connected generators are
synchronous
machines. There is no frequency difference between them, only phase
angle,
and not much of that - if the system is stable.

The ocean liner analogy is correct, as there is only one captain
directing
the ship's course. If each plant set its own power levels it would be
very
difficult to maintain stability, due to the springiness of long
transmission
lines.

A set of connected generators is controlled by regional dispatchers, who
tell their plants how much power to generate in order for the day to
average
out to 60.000 cycles per second. They count cycles instead of measuring
the
frequency. You can count cycles with a synchronous clock.

This becomes less tidy when DC tie lines are used, because inverters
have
to be adjusted to get the correct power flow.

Hope I got most of that right.

Bill Hawkins