[time-nuts] TAPR TICC boxed (input protection)

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Fri Apr 7 02:23:43 UTC 2017

David wrote:

> I know one  thing to watch out for if you are looking for low
> leakage is gold doping

Anything that increases carrier mobility increases leakage current (all
else equal -- i.e., for each particular device geometry).  This accounts
for the much higher leakage of Schottky and germanium junctions.

> Out of curiosity, and I tried to look this up years ago, what doping
> is used for PNP RF transistors and saturated switches if it is not
> gold?  Does it also increase leakage?

Gold doping doesn't affect the speed of BJTs in the active region very
much -- its purpose is to reduce minority carrier lifetime and, thereby,
to reduce storage time when a transistor recovers from saturation.  I'm
not sure how manufacturers deal with this in the case of PNPs.  [Note
that the list of fast PNP small-signal switching transistors is very
short, and the fastest of them are slower than the slowest fast NPN
switches.]

> And I have another question if you know.  How is rb'Cc measured?

One way is to drive the transistor with a medium-high frequency (well
down the 1/f portion of its current gain curve -- typically 10-50MHz for
small-signal BJTs) and measure the base-collector phase shift.  It can
also be calculated from fT and Cc-b.  There is a JEDEC standard for
measuring rb'Cc, but I'm not finding my copy at the moment.  It may be
posted on the JEDEC web site.

> The advantage of the 4117/4118/4119 is that the leakage is already
> tested to a given specification so no qualification or testing is
> necessary.

That may be true, but there is nothing in the data published by Vishay,
Fairchild, Calogic, or InterFET to indicate this.  Spot-checking, along
with the part design, should be sufficient to guarantee meeting the
spec.  I'll try to remember to ask the Vishay process engineer next time
I talk to her.

Best regards,

Charles