[time-nuts] TAPR TICC boxed (input protection)

Tom Curlee tcurlee at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 8 17:49:01 UTC 2017

You need to be careful how you paint the package black.  My first electronics job was in a place that made, among other things, mass spectrometers.  We made very high input impedance electrometers for the mass specs using TO-5 can mosfet transistors.  One batch was found to be very photo sensitive through the glass/ceramic lead interface.  Someone had the idea to spray paint the bottom of the package with black paint.  Not a good idea. The black paint, likely loaded with carbon, decreased the electrometer input impedance by many orders of magnitude.  Considering that our electrometers had an input impedance of 1E-12 to 10E-15, even a fingerprint made a huge difference.  The carbon filled black paint was practically a short.
Maybe an overcoat with silicone or some other type of low leakage sealant, then the black paint?
Tom