[time-nuts] Re. DIY atomic "resonator"

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Tue Apr 11 15:29:50 UTC 2017

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 07:31:01 +0000
Andre <Andre at Lanoe.net> wrote:

> Has anyone else either built an atomic clock around a bare Rb lamp module "core" or attempted
>
> to make a hydrogen maser?

Building my own Rb vapor cell standard or H-maser is on my list
of Things-I-have-to-do-before-I-die :-)

If I had to do one of those now, I would go for a Rb vapor cell
with dual-resonance using an external cavity laser diode for pumping.

The electronics for such a thing are relatively easy, if you are not
afraid of Jiga-Hurts and using these pesky QFN packages. But it isn't
cheap either. There was a discussion started by Bert[1] where I ventured
a rough calculation what I think it wold cost. Though I think I have
understimated the cost of an ECLD (it's more like 1k-5k from what I have read)

				Attila Kinali

[1] search for "thinking outside the box" in the archives

use without that foundation.