[time-nuts] Re. DIY atomic "resonator"

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Apr 11 16:50:09 UTC 2017

Hi

If you are going to do a Rb, probably the best place to start is with a salvaged physics
package out of one of the telecom Rb’s. That would let you get the “easy bits” worked
out on your side of the design. It would also let you lear how to address  a few of the
more complex items sorted as well. Since the salvaged physics package performance
is likely better than what you would build in a basement, the performance of your device
would not be impacted in a negative way. Indeed it’s “cheating”, but it’s about the only
way to move the project forward.

I agree with Rick that Rb is by far the easiest one of the atomic devices to address. The complexity
of the device / design precision goes up quite a bit for the other candidates. To the degree
that Rb is complicated, it’s quite easy compared to the others. One way to view this is to
take a look at the minuscule size of the resonance response above the noise floor on even
a well made standard ….

Bob