[time-nuts] UltrAtomic® Clock

Gregory Beat w9gb at icloud.com
Wed Apr 12 17:34:48 UTC 2017

My long-time (and accurate) 12-inch analog kitchen clock (24 years) dropped to floor in March, as I was adjusting for Daylight Savings Time.  Of course, the polycarbonate lens cover cracked and I could not find a replacement.  The manufacturer, General Time of Athens, GA (handled Seth Thomas, others) closed their operations in 2000.
===
So, I decided to order the LaCrosse UltrAtomic® clock.
My experience, in setting it up this clock, was the same as noted by Larry.
Took less than 90 minutes ... and agrees with my GPS/NTP server with IRIG displays.

One caveat, while the clock was well packed, I heard a "rattle".
Sometime, during this clock's assembly, the portion of the plastic retention lip for the glass/aluminum frame was broken off at the top (aggressive assembler or flaw in plastic molding?).
Since I purchased the clock directly from LaCrosse, I sent them photos.
They are sending a replacement clock with a return label for this one.

greg
w9gb
Sent from iPad Air
From: Larry McDavid <lmcdavid at lmceng.com>
Subject: [time-nuts] UltrAtomic® Clock

When I got home after my Thursday Lunch meeting today, my new La Crosse 404-1235UA-SS UltrAtomic® clock was waiting. I unpacked it and installed two (of 4 possible) C-cells and set it on the floor upstairs near the center of my home, fully under the radiant barrier insulation that has foiled (that's a pun!) all my previous "Atomic" clocks. The hands moved around 4 hours and stopped. I left.

Returning about an hour later, the clock had set itself correctly!

I verified the displayed time against my (Tindie) GPS Clock and the seconds and seconds-tick match as closely as I can determine visually.