[time-nuts] noise sources Re: Re. DIY atomic "resonator"

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 12 23:04:05 UTC 2017

On 4/12/17 1:23 PM, Bob kb8tq wrote:
> Hi
>

> *All* incandescent lamps emit RF ….. They are a resistive device that is heated to well above
> room temperature. People do use them in simple noise figure meters. The inductance of the
> filament in a typical bulb restricts the bandwidth a bit. The are designs from at least the 1960’s
> running around. I suspect the approach is much older and that’s just when I was introduced to
> the technique (= built one).

The advantage of the diode noise source (a typical one is 7000K, a bit
higher than a 3200K incandescent bulb) is that it's more stable - the
temperature of a lightbulb filament depends on a lot of things - and
that it can be "hotter"

A  15 dB ENR noise source is something like 9500K  - that's a lot hotter
than something incandescent, and well above the 3700K melting point of
tungsten