[time-nuts] Frequency counter questions

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Apr 24 11:53:27 UTC 2017

Hi

Let’s back off a bit.

To most of us, a 12 digit counter displays 12 digits regardless of the frequency
you put into it. That’s been the way good bench counters have done it since
the early 1970’s. Typically the number of digits is specified at a one second
gate time. An HP 5335 is one example. It is called a 9 digit (or more properly
9 digit per second) counter. Over the last 30 years, the last “per second” part
has commonly been dropped.

In the world of computers, the number of digits displayed is not the big deal
it was back in the days of nixie tubes. As Chris points out, comping up a display
is what things like the F7 are intended to do. The Discovery boards are a
cheap way to get this running.

Thus the confusion.

If you prescale you divide down the input frequency. The counter is “reading”
the divided down frequency. That’s not a big deal on a modern counter. It is
a big deal on an old style counter On an old style counter, you don’t get a
constant number of digits at a given gate time. If you put in 1,000 cycles (also
called Hertz ..) and count them for one second, there will be four digits displayed.
If you prescale the signal by 100, your counter will display 10 (two digits displayed).
In general prescalers are something to avoid on an old style counter.

With a modern 9 digit counter, if you put in 1,000 Hz and ran for a second you would
get 1,000.123456 on the display. You might or might not get good accuracy in
all those digits. That’s roughly what the display would look like.

So now back to the real questions:

What is your input signal? How high is it in frequency? Is there a range of frequencies?
Is it modulated? …..

What kind of accuracy are you after? (resolution and accuracy are two different things).

Is this a learning experience? Would a purchased counter for < $100 be an equally good
answer?

Is the count it’s self significant? There are *many* different ways to measure frequency
other than a straight counter.

Lots of fun.

Bob