[time-nuts] Thunderbolt question

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Aug 4 15:38:20 UTC 2017

Hi

> On Aug 4, 2017, at 9:45 AM, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Arthur
> Thanks for the picture. I have a TBolt also and its working just fine at
> the moment.
> But one day it may not. As several people have mentioned lightnings an
> issue.
>
> So going down the crazy thought path for a moment.
> It appears from your pix you can figure out what the GPS receiver chip set
> is.
> The thought would be understand the chip set.
> Locate the TX RX and 1pps and plug another receiver in.
> Yes its a kluge and maybe a separate board level GPS receiver can not be
> found...
> But at least an approach.

On the TBolt … much more complex. The device looks at code phase to discipline
the OCXO. The “guts” of the TBolt need to work closely with the receiver. If you really
want to resurrect a dead one, it’s probably best to trace out the RF section and start
replacing this and that.  This of course *assumes* it’s not blown someplace like the
RS-232 end of things … Most of the RF front end bits appear to be fairly generic. With
care, you should be able to swap them out.

Bob