[time-nuts] Can Lady Heather set PC time directly from a TrimbleThunderbolt?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 18:28:48 UTC 2017

On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 7:39 AM, Chris Wilson <chris at chriswilson.tv> wrote:

> Thanks  to  everyone  for the replies, so basically would you say that
> with  a permanent internet connection I should forget using GPS time to
> set  the  PC  clock  and  just use Meinberg or NTP (which is what I am
> currently using and seems to work just fine)?

You'd be using the same NTP software in either case.  The difference
is it you were to add a GPS reference clock to the current setup.
Even with GPS you's till want to keep the internet based reference
clocks.

Currently your PC clock might be accurate that the few milliseconds
level.  Adding a GPS receiver into the mix will improve accuracy to
the tens of microseconds level.   You'd gain abut two orders of
magnitude over the current setup.

Do you need this?  I can think of uses for a highly accurate clock in
amateur radio.  Perhaps you are measuring propagation delay.  Doing
this 100 times more accurately might be helpful.    On the other hand
maybe you only need log files time stamps to be with a second or so of
correct?     When I got into this may application was pointing
telescopes and measuring the light from variable stars.    Usually you
can start with you application and work backwards to place a
requirement on time accuracy

On the other hand this is a "time nuts" list and some people here just
want the BEST they can get.

I'm not a fan of Meinberg because of the way they market freely
available software.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California