[time-nuts] Can Lady Heather set PC time directly from a TrimbleThunderbolt?

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at burnicki.net
Sat Aug 5 11:01:56 UTC 2017

Chris,

Chris Albertson wrote:
> I'm not a fan of Meinberg because of the way they market freely
> available software.

I'm sorry you feel this way.

We at Meinberg have supported the NTP project for many years, by
donations of money and hardware, testing, submitting bug reports and
patches. There've been also enhancements like the initial leap second
handling code in the Windows port of ntpd, workarounds for limitations
in Windows to increase the possible accuracy under Windows, etc.

Quite some years ago there was no easy way to install ntpd under
Windows, so one of my colleagues had the idea to put a GUI setup program
together which makes installation under Windows as simple as possible
even for inexperienced users.

When we started this, we also discussed with the other NTP developers
and agreed that we would and should provide the installer via the
Meinberg download page, where we clearly say that the setup program
provides a precompiled version built from the public source code that is
available at ntp.org.

The installer is also free of charge, and there are no duties implied by
using it.

So once more, I feel sorry that you have such a bad feeling about this,
which has just been introduced to make NTP more popular even for users
who are not time nuts.

If you know how to do it you can still build your own binaries from the
original source code.

Martin

(who is biased since working at Meinberg)