[time-nuts] Ships fooled in GPS spoofing attack suggest Russian cyberweapon

Thomas Petig thomas at petig.eu
Tue Aug 15 07:53:16 UTC 2017

Hi all,

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 06:10:33PM -0400, Ron Bean wrote:
> >In a car it is even easier.  The car nav system KNOWS it must be on a
> >roadway.  The car's ground track (positional history) must be on a road.
>
> That's assuming the GPS company keeps their maps up to date (it doesn't
> matter how often you update the maps in the device if the company's maps
> don't keep up with reality). New roads appear, old ones occasionally get
> moved.
In a regular vehicle you can still look out of the window and see the
GNSS fools you.

For autonomous vehicles we have seen that even with a rather expensive
unit, that is fusing IMU with RTK, the position is not accurate enough.
We see offsets of >10 m in urban areas due to multipath[1]. Thus, I
believe, map matching with LIDAR, RADAR, Cameras, etc. is necessary to
navigate an autonomous vehicle in urban areas. This allows, as a side
effect, to detect spoofing.

On ships RADAR is standard if visibility is low, but doesn't help if
there are no obstacles above water.

Best regards,
   Thomas

[1] Fusing odometry information would help a bit.