[time-nuts] Ships fooled in GPS spoofing attack suggest Russian cyberweapon

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Aug 15 16:44:11 UTC 2017

Hi

In the case of a spoof, the target is likely one specific vehicle. You care about the
armored car with the big pile of gold bars in it. The objective is not to get him to
drive into a bridge abutment. It’s to get him to turn left on the wrong road. You tailor
the spoof so everything “makes sense”.  Likely you spend a *lot* of time planning
just how the spoof will happen and what is down that road he turned on. This isn’t
a random process ….

In the same sense, if you are going to spoof time, you do it for a specific reason and
with a specific target. You want the bank vault to open early. You want the stock trade
to get time stamped “just right”. There’s no need to throw off every clock everywhere if
you can identify autonomous GPS based time islands. Finding those time islands takes
work. So does tracking down the armored car with the gold in it ….

Bob