[time-nuts] Atomic clocks and Wassenaar agreement

Bernd Neubig BNeubig at t-online.de
Mon Aug 21 18:41:24 UTC 2017

Hi Attila,

the paragraph applies also to low phase noise crystal oscillators.
The limiting equation for phase noise stated in that section 3. A. 1. b. 10 reads as follows:
L(F) > -(126+20log10F-20log10f) for 10 Hz ≤ F ≤ 10 kHz
With f being the carrier frequency in MHz and F the offset in Hz

In the attachment I have added a chart showing the limits for 10 MHz and 100 MHz.
This equation is rather arbitrary and not conclusive, because it assumes a slope of the PN curve close to carrier of -20 dB/decade, while in reality it is -30 dB/decade. This means that even if you do not touch the limits very close to carrier, the real phase noise may intersect at larger offsets. If you look at the numbers, you can easily find that not only a few best in class OCXO will touch or crosss the limits, but many normal "industrial state of the art" OCXO nowadays will...
I have no idea, where I could place my arguments to advocate a change of this unrealistic regulation.

Indeed it may be good that not all customs officers are able (or have the time) to solve that equation.

Best regards
Bernd
DK1Ag