[time-nuts] Trimble Thunderbolt no longer determines the correct date

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Aug 30 05:36:59 UTC 2017

w9ac at arrl.net said:
> So, at this time is there a viable solution that will make the LCD read the
> proper date?  I am less concerned about the date showing accurately on the
> desktop Thunderbolt Monitor program.  Many thanks!

It's the GPS rollover problem.  There is a 10 bit field for the week number
in the data from the satellites.  After you decode the date/time you have to
compare what you get with a magic date. The magic date is typically the time
the software is compiled or a constant in the code that is whenever the
programmer last updated it.  If the GPS date is earlier, add 1024 weeks.
Repeat if necessary.

The simple solution is to fix the software driving the display,  It's 2 or 3
lines of code in the right place.  If you can't do that, you might be able to
insert something between the TBolt and the display that will fixup that slot.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.