[time-nuts] End-of-Range: Oscilloquartz OCXO 8600-3

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Dec 8 16:58:19 UTC 2017

Hi

One risk is that the oscillator may have drifted further than one can easily adjust it by
just changing a select cap. That seems silly when we are talking about < 1 ppm, but
the 8600 is an unusual OCXO. The electrodes BVA is not your run of the mill crystal.
The “air gap” (actually a gap in vacuum) puts a pretty small capacitance in series with
the normal crystal equivalent circuit. That cuts the practical tuning range down quite
a bit….

Bob