[time-nuts] Determining Allan Deviation From Interpolated Peak Frequency Readings

Gerhard Hoffmann dk4xp at arcor.de
Sat Dec 16 14:36:30 UTC 2017

Am 16.12.2017 um 11:57 schrieb Attila Kinali:

>>> [1] "Oscillator metrology with software defined radio",
>>> by Sherman and Jördens, 2016
>>> https://arxiv.org/abs/1605.03505
>>>
>> I have seen this paper before. Unfortunately, it is a lot more work to
>> implement than what I have already done. I am really a hardware engineer,
>> with decades old education in control systems that has not been used in a
>> long time. It would take getting my brain back in gear and re-studying, not
>> a bad thing actually!
>>
>> The other issue is the Perseus drivers have issues under Windows 10 that
>> may or may not be solved. I was able to get it to work with Spectrum Lab,
>> but it does not work with many other tools that would be able to implement
>> this algorithm.
>>
>> That said, I may look into it further in the future.
> Apparently the Perseus is supported by GnuRadio[1]. Which means you can
> just click your control system together (similar to LabView). According
> to [2] the driver uses libusb and works on windows as well.
>
> If you want to use GnuRadio, I suggest you go to one of the many Hackfests[3]
> they have and let them jump-start you (I started this way years ago).

I'm about to buy a RedPitaya Stemlab 125-14. Cost is just €310 in .de,
seems to have respectable performance, can emulate the
GnuRadio hardware boards more or less right out of the box,
Win  & Linux.

And it is a nice stepping stone to what I really want: a bigger ZYNC
with JESD204B support, AD9680/ADC32RF45 ADCs & AD9142 or
similar DACs for direct L-band digitizing. No more
phase-shifting preselector or IF filters.
There seem to appear better ADC/DAC chips every month for Gen5.

That could be a Timepod++  :-)

regards, Gerhard

<  https://www.redpitaya.com/c96/stemsuplabsup-125-14   >
< http://pavel-demin.github.io/red-pitaya-notes/sdr-transceiver-hpsdr/ >