[time-nuts] TAPR "PulsePuppy" Pot Selection

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Dec 24 14:00:11 UTC 2017

Hi

The other issue with putting in an amp is noise. You really do not want to feed
a bunch of added “stuff” into the FM modulation port on the oscillator. You get
some thermal noise from the pot, so it is never zero. How close you need to get
to zero - who knows? When the part was tested to see if it met spec, it probably
didn’t have an amp in there …..

This of course all assumes a stand alone device like the Pulse Puppy. Once you
go to a structure like a GPSDO, things inevitably get a bit more complicated. That
is one of the many reasons testing this and that on a servo’d system is part of the
normal design process.

Bob