[time-nuts] OFF topic! Iridium 4 launch video

cdelect at juno.com cdelect at juno.com
Tue Dec 26 19:36:52 UTC 2017

Hi,

I've worked at Vandenberg AFB since 1971 and have seen LOTS of launches
over those years.

I was tracking the Iridium 4 launch so could not go outside and watch.

However someone made a video that is just Awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU5KpfOT-_Y

You see the rocket come over a local hill and then follow it till it
drops over the horizon.

Since it occurred just a bit after sunset the rocket climbed up into the
sunshine after a bit.

This is called the twilight effect and in this case was textbook!

You will see the plume brighten up as it does.

You will see the booster shut down and the rocket spits out of the plume.

Then a plume as the booster separates and the 2nd stage fires.

Then the FUN begins!

As the plume opens up you will see the booster separating from the 2nd
stage and it's RCS thrusters firing to
position it.

Then the thrusters go crazy for a bit as the booster is turned around for
the boostback.

Also you will see the two pieces of the payload fairing dropping off and
their RCS thrusters firing.

Then the booster starts dropping rapidly and you see the booster firing
to slow it down for a landing as it drops below the horizon. (I believe
it just ends up in the ocean as they did not want to refurbish this one.)

Then a bit later the 2nd stage also drops below the hill line.

This is the coolest video I have seen of a launch.

Cheers,

Corby