[time-nuts] Jitter analysis between two clocks

time_nuts at jsalisbury.clara.co.uk time_nuts at jsalisbury.clara.co.uk
Sun Dec 31 18:50:16 UTC 2017

Hi,

I have a workplace question. I have a multi clock system where there are
master and standby clock sources feeding various PLLs. These clock
frequencies are in the range 10MHz to 125MHz and are either LVDS or
PECL. I would like to check the performance of the system when the clock
source to the PLL switches so what perturbation, down to the ps level. I
do have at my disposal a 1GHZ 4 chanel DPO3000 real time scope, a 54750A
sampling scope and a spectrum analyser.  It did also cross my mind that
the old Modulation Domain analysers of the past might be useful, I have
also used a CNT-91 in the past. Would a 53230A be up to it, just time
stamp and then post process?

Thanks

---