[time-nuts] Lost Calibration on CNT-81/PM-6681

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Feb 1 23:26:40 UTC 2017

Hi Ed,

First of all, don't be fooled to think it is "calibrated", not yet.
What I've done so far is just starting to make my ways into the GPIB
commands to make it do the right things.

I've not even attempted to do the right thing in terms of actual
calibration, but trying to make sure that I can get it to do the
necessary stuff.

Anyway, one trick being used is to use a locked offset oscillator, that
effectively sweeps all phase relationships over the 10 MHz cycle stable,
predictably and evenly. This way it sweeps over all the phase
relationships to the locked 100 MHz oscillator and the 10 ns time error
window that is then expanded 400 times in the interpolator before being
counted in the 100 MHz clock. The scaling of this is done with an
internal reference pulse. The internal reference pulse needs to be
calibrated with external software, and once established it is put into
the PUD command and used in the internal self-calibration routines.

So, 4.05 ns or 4.29 ns is really a property of that hardware.

I have not attempted to do the routine to establish the calibration
pulse length yet, I'm trying to clear the way before I get there.

Hence, I have not yet cared about actual precision yet.

Cheers,
Magnus