[time-nuts] eLoran test 6 Feb for almost 2 months

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Feb 4 19:13:26 UTC 2017

Hi

The Russian system runs an incompatible pulse format. A “normal” Loran receiver
pretty much pukes when you try to tune to the Russian chains. It also is a bit unclear
just how stable their system is timing wise.

For timing you *need* ground wave. Anything that is more than 1,000 miles away is
not going to do much good in a timing system. To me this is one of the basic issues
with a eLoran system that only operates out of a single location. I’m happy with it if
it’s in the north eastern part of the US. I’d be really bothered if the only transmit location
was in Nevada ….

Yes once upon a time I had data on the Iceland chain as received in Ohio. I did it more
as a “because I can” than anything else. There were periods that things looked ~ok and
lots of gaps where they didn’t look very good at all. If I had not already calibrated the
local standard against a nearby chain … no way to figure out which data was correct.

Bob