[time-nuts] What to do with a 5061A/5061B with dead NiCds

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Mon Feb 6 01:04:41 UTC 2017

Skip,

I've rebuilt the NiCd battery packs with tabbed half D NiCd cells that are about $5 each (with tabs, shipped) and it takes 20 of them and some time to disassemble the pack and solder the new cells together.  They will eventually die and you will have to replace them again.  The half D NiMH cells I've seen have a larger capacity and noticeable more expensive.

I think I would choose to use an external 24 V battery with an attached battery charger as the backup rather than a UPS.  Batteries would be cheaper than NiCd's but more 'clumsy' to move and keep the unit powered.

The HP 5085A and HP 5089A were designed to take two 12 V SLA batteries and supply the needed charging circuitry and connectors to connect to the unit as a backup.  It could be mounted in a common cabinet with the 5061A or B as a 'movable' (not really 'portable') unit.  I have a 5085A that serves as backup to two 5061A's each with Opt 001 clocks.  The 5085A and 5089A don't show up often on theBay and their original batteries I have not been able to find.  I have made some minor modifications and was able to fit two Panasonic LC-X1228AP batteries in the unit.

https://na.industrial.panasonic.com/sites/default/pidsa/files/panasonic_vrla_lc-x1228p_lc-x1228ap.pdf

Choices 3 and 4 seem like a lot of work, particularly the Li Ion option.

I like the idea of the built in NiCd pack in that you can easily (well, it's heavy) move the unit and keep it powered.

Good luck.

Joe