[time-nuts] low power, but quiet, oscillators

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 7 05:02:09 UTC 2017

On 2/6/17 6:24 PM, Alexander Pummer wrote:
> hi Magnus, how about the effect of that cheap 2,7K on the active device
> if it is bipolar?

I wish it were easy to get 2.7k in space.. that's the temperature you're
radiating to.. At 300K you can radiate a few hundred watts/square meter.
  When you have finally got down to, say 50K, the radiative heat
transfer gets pretty small. That T^4 bites you pretty hard.  And on the
surface of Mars, or Europa, or (worst yet) Venus, that 2.7K radiative
sink is not so easy to get.  And there's also that 5500K source in the
sky putting a kW/square meter into you.

But more practically - you see all sorts of cool idea for mesh networks
and what not.  But they're all "plug the 802.11 node into the 5V wall
wart" kinds of things.  Just the VCO to make the 2.4GHz probably
consumes a significant amount of power.

I'd like those mesh nodes to be, say, 10s of mW total power, when
they're on.  Another problem, of course, is that a superhet receiver
needs an LO to receive.

So very low power oscillators are of some interest - and low phase noise
is because, well, this is time nuts.. An RC blocking oscillator isn't as
interesting.

By the way, some colleagues are building a box to get some Rb atoms down
to picoKelvins.. Check out Cold Atom Lab.  Push a button and a couple
seconds later, you have a Bose-Einstein Condensate.