[time-nuts] Line Frequency standard change - Possible ?

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Thu Feb 9 22:35:40 UTC 2017

On 9 February 2017 at 21:31, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> The only other possible "balance signal" is the voltage, and it
> suffers from a host of noise mechanisms, from bad contacts and
> lightning strikes to temperature, but worst of all, it takes double
> hit when you start big induction motors, thus oversignalling the
> power deficit.

I'm not sure what you mean by "balance signal" here. But I was chatting to
a friend, who used to control generators at two power stations in the UK -
one coal, the other nuclear. It is fairly obvious that the power put into
the grid must equal the power consumed, plus losses. What is also true, and
less obvious, is that the V*A must balance too. He said that he would
receive a call from the CEGB, saying they wanted X Watts, and a power
factor of Y.

Dave