[time-nuts] HP 5061A Cesium Beam Std

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Fri Feb 10 02:35:53 UTC 2017

Dave,

The 'value' of the unit may be that of the 'parts'.  Are there any options?

I have nine 5061A'a and B's and it has been my experience that if it has the 'High Performance Cs Tube', option 004, it likely has a dead tube.

If it has option 001, 002, or 003 (clock, battery backup, or both), there is likely some additional 'value' in the unit from the perspective of 'spare parts'.  Absent option 004, the tube might be 'resurrectable' if you have the proper equipment, including a HV power supply capable of 4KV+ voltage with appropriate current.  Even if so, the 'survival' after the 'resurrection' might be very limited.

I have a unit that I am able to resurrect with an external HV supply of about 5 KV over a couple of days but, eventually, it becomes 'non-op' as the ion pump 'pegs out'.  Not completely sure that this is not a failure of the A18 assembly.

If there are 'spare' tubes available, I would love to hear about them.

Hope this helps.

Joe