[time-nuts] Vintage Frequency Measurement

Jeremy Nichols jn6wfo at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 15:57:46 UTC 2017

[Hopefully this time my post is in the required plain-text format!]

The solid-state HP-5210A and its vacuum-tube predecessors, the
HP-500A/B/C family, were analog frequency measuring instruments. The
circuitry summed the input frequency (converted into pulses) and
generated an analog voltage to display on a meter. Higher frequency
meant more pulses and thus a higher voltage. My 5210A goes up to 10 MHz
and is surprisingly accurate although the resolution, even with an
expanded-scale switch, is only three digits. A nice tool in the 5210A is
an FM discriminator with adjustable filters.

Jeremy