[time-nuts] Vintage Frequency Measurement

Bob Albert bob91343 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 12 22:12:06 UTC 2017

Actually the three beat method is a variation on the AGC surging method.  The latter, rather than using a pure tone, uses the background noise that comes up as the AGC makes the receiver gain increase.  What you do is listen for the slow surging and adjust to make it barely stop surging.  You can guess the error by counting the number of surges while watching the clock.  What you can't do so easily is decide which side of zero beat you have, as the frequencies can cross over and give you the same surge rate.
When calibrating my transceiver I use the three tone method.  I listen to WWV (SSB mode) when it's transmitting a tone, then switch sidebands.  If the tone changes pitch, I readjust until it doesn't.  That way the oscillator is calibrated without concern for dial reading increments.  It helps to have a musical ear, as some people have difficulty in recognizing pitch change.  Further, some older radios retune the radio to the opposite side of the filter, thus making accurate calibration impossible.
Bob