[time-nuts] ``direct'' RS-232 vs. RS-232 via USB vs. PPS decoding cards

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 17:33:44 UTC 2017

Here is a something that could work.  It has a real serial port and you
could add more ethernet controllers, uses very little power and cost only
$60.
www.newegg.com/....
<https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157497&cm_re=j1900-_-13-157-497-_-Product>

There are other boards like this that use the same J1900 CPU.   I'm
thinking about using this as th machine tool (milling machine) controller.

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 4:26 AM, Bob Camp <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> A direct port might be a +/- 100 ns sort of thing most of the time and a
> +/-10 us
> thing every so often under some OS’s. Most desktop operating systems are
> not
> designed to prioritize random pin interrupts. A dirt cheap MCU coded with
> a few
> (hundred) lines of assembly code may be a better option than a typical
> desktop.
> Complicating this further is the degree to which some OS’s can be directly
> or
> indirectly optimized. Install *this* package and it all goes nuts. Install
> that package
>  and not much happens ….
>
> Bob
>
> > On Feb 13, 2017, at 11:07 AM, Ruslan Nabioullin <rnabioullin at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, generally speaking, what are the performance differences between the
> following: 1. direct RS-232 (i.e., what I believe is a standard PCI card
> offering RS-232---essentially UARTs interfaced more-or-less directly to the
> PCI bus); 2. RS-232 via USB; 3. PPS decoding PCI cards (which might also
> have an IRIG input or even an onboard GNSS receiver).
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Ruslan

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California