[time-nuts] ``direct'' RS-232 vs. RS-232 via USB vs. PPS decoding cards

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 07:48:39 UTC 2017

Your processing machine is going to be running NTP with a reference
clock being your local status 1 NTP server

I think the processing machine would see a lighter load if it's NTP
was using GPS as the reference rather thennother NTP server.       In
other words the processing box, the one with the 4Hz work load could
be an isolated strum 1 NTP server with no other connected computers.
 Servicing the GPS interface is nearly trivial, much simply then going
over the network to another server.    An ntpd that is running as
strum one that has no other ntpd connected to it has VERY little to do

BTW I first learned about NTP formerly this same reason.   I was
writing firmware for an astronomical CCD camera and we wanted to know
EXACTLY when exposures started and stopped.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California