[time-nuts] ``direct'' RS-232 vs. RS-232 via USB vs. PPS decoding cards

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 03:07:36 UTC 2017

Yes,  that is the normal "best practice case".   But the OPand myself
some years go
both have a difference use case.     In this case no other machine
needs to know the time.
I only care about one computer.

The reason I used NTp back then and he is using it now is to calibrate
the rate of a real-time process running on that one computer.   In
this special case it makes sense to connect GPS PPS to the computer
and use no other source of time.

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 10:58 AM, Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com> wrote:
> Yo Chris!
>
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 23:48:39 -0800
> Chris Albertson <albertson.chris at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> An ntpd that is running as
>> strum one that has no other ntpd connected to it has VERY little to do
>
> That would be a marginal configuration.  I have yet to see a GPS that
> did not lose sat lock, or lep second, or UTC offset now and then.  Best
> practice is to have at least 3 other network chimers configured.
>
> RGDS
> GARY

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California