[time-nuts] Have done some more cutting on the Cs beam tube

Skip Withrow skip.withrow at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 01:18:15 UTC 2017

Hello Time-Nits,

Ended up with a little free time and the saw nearby, so did some more
cutting on the cesium beam tube today.  Links to some pictures are provided
for your enjoyment.

1. http://207.224.127.233/CsTube/CsTube9.jpg

The first shot shows the new surgery.  There is a U shaped metal shield
around the microwave waveguide (the copper portion) and I removed a section
from most of one side.  This shield has the coil of yellow wire at the
bottom.  I also cut a window (removing the bottom and side) in the next
shield out that is kind of a cross between a V and U shape.

2. http://207.224.127.233/CsTube/CsTube10.jpg
<http://207.224.127.233/CsTube/CsTube9.jpg>

The second shot shows the cut out shields again at a slightly different
angle.  The beam path is from the NW to the SE in the picture (north up).

3. http://207.224.127.233/CsTube/CsTube11.jpg
<http://207.224.127.233/CsTube/CsTube9.jpg>

The third shot shows the beam path pretty well.  You can see the holes for
the beam in the ends of the Y shaped waveguide (RF enters the bottom of the
Y).  You can also see another coil around the beam path, I take it this is
the C-field coil.  A think the coil around the bottom of the shield is the
degaussing coil.  The four wires that you see are the connections for these
two coils.

4. http://207.224.127.233/CsTube/CsTube12.jpg
<http://207.224.127.233/CsTube/CsTube9.jpg>

The last shot shows the whole tube as it stands now.  Now to find the time
to cut a wooden base and fashion a couple of standoffs to set it on.

Regards,

Skip Withrow