[time-nuts] ``direct'' RS-232 vs. RS-232 via USB vs. PPSdecoding cards

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Feb 22 12:39:16 UTC 2017

Hi

> On Feb 21, 2017, at 9:50 PM, Trevor N. <qb4 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 07:37:34 -0500, BC wrote:
>>
>> Some 1588 chip sets have (or had, I haven’t looked recently) external sync pins.
>> This does get into the whole, what’s a motherboard / what’s a peripheral
>> debate. Plugging in a 1588 card to get that pin probably no longer counts
>> as a simple solution. If plugging in a card *does* count then that opens up
>> a lot of possible options.
>>
>> Bob
>
> I found while looking at the datasheets for newer Intel server
> ethernet cards that they have the ability to timestamp GPIO pin
> transitions, but none of them have their internal timebase
> synchronized to a counter in the CPU. It looks like they are clocked
> from a separate XO on the card.

Everything on a motherboard traces back to this or that XO. None of the time
sources are anything that would get you excited as a frequency standard. Linking
them together can be exciting. Replacing this or that one with a better frequency
source *is* possible in some cases. If you are going to replace one, why not
replace several :)

Bob