[time-nuts] HP5328A + NI GPIB-ENET/1000

James Peroulas james at peroulas.com
Thu Feb 23 06:37:29 UTC 2017

Does anyone have experience using older HP equipment with the NI
GPIB-ENET/1000 GPIB to ethernet box? Is this even possible with such an old
piece of equipment? I'm very familiar with using SCPI commands over telnet
but not so familiar with HPIB.

So far I've installed the NI 488.2 software which has successfully found
both the GPIB-ENET/1000 box and the HP5328A connected to it. I've opened
the NI-488.2 communicator which should allow me to send commands to the
counter and read back results. However, anything I type in the "send
string" returns a timeout.

The manual for the 5328A shows example commands such as:
CMD"?U*","T"
But it's not clear to me what portion (all?) is the string that I should be
sending to the 5328a.

The 5328a is set to "Talk Only" mode via dip switch. I would expect that I
should be able to just 'read' the results, but 'read' also times out...

Thanks for any pointers,
James