[time-nuts] new year crashes

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Jan 1 13:38:48 UTC 2017

Hi

Insertion times that are convenient for some could be a major pain for others. There is no
single “good” time to insert a leap second. You might argue that doing it while the financial
markets are closed is a good idea. That sort of rules out the middle of the week. You also
could argue that you do it when everybody is on hand to fix things. That sort of rules out
weekends. With two simple “rules”, the entire week has been crossed off the list ….

If you go back in the archives, you will find significant discussion going on about dropping
leap seconds altogether. That would indeed eliminate the need to schedule them. It also
would eventually result in some odd adjustments to local time.

Bob