[time-nuts] FE-5650A option 58 tuning word for 10 MHz output

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Jan 2 17:58:55 UTC 2017

Hi

> On Jan 1, 2017, at 7:31 PM, wb6bnq <wb6bnq at cox.net> wrote:
>
> Hello Mathias,
>
> I think you did not quite understand how the calibration process works with that unit.  The factory procedure is to set the pot to minimum and then bring the DDS up to the step that produces the closest frequency just below the wanted one and then use the C-field pot as the final tweak.
>
> The "R" value is composed of a number of factors that can only be determined after the Rb cell is made.  A number of variables, in the Rb cell itself, will determine the actual "ON" resonance frequency and that is what is programmed into the "R" number at the end of final assembly.
>
> That "R" number is actually the Rb frequency divided by 136 plus the upward fine tuning of the C-field pot.  See PDF page 16 & 17 of the attached PDF operational manual for the FEI-5650.  The only difference between all the variants comes after the Physics Package as shown on PDF page 16 block diagram.
>
> The "F" number is truly a 32 bit number, not just the first 8 digits but all 16 of them.
>
> Your problem is being able to have a frequency reference that is, obviously, way better then the Rb.  As Cesium and Hydrogen references are quite expensive that leaves just the GPS satellites as the only other reference available that will do the job.  Of course that entails more than just the GPS "timing" receiver as you will need some other equipment to help in the comparison process.  Also it takes time to do many small adjustments to achieve that final comparison.  It won't happen in just one day.
>
> It would probably have been better to purchase one of the Rb's that already output 10 MHz instead of hacking the option 58.  BUT that is just my opinion.

This heads you down another rabbit hole. Since the 10 MHz output units sell better than the PPS only versions, there is a cottage industry going to convert
one to the other. Parts are missing on the board to make a “proper” 10 MHz unit. The conversion often is a bit ugly. No matter how well it is done
electrically, bashing a hole in the magnetic shield case for the SMA is a really bad idea unless you have the proper gear to heat create it after you are done.

So yes, the 10 MHz version is a better way to go, but only if it came from the factory as a 10 MHz unit …..

Bob